1. What is the goal of the EJK Bookmaking Competition?
In the words of the New York City Department of Education: “Participation in this competition inspires the creative spirit in students to craft picture books as vehicles for self-expression, encourages the study of the picture book genre, and promotes bookmaking as a career opportunity in the arts.”
2. Who is eligible to enter?
Students, grades 3 through 12, from every school in the city school system. Visual arts teachers, English teachers and librarians working with students in those grades may supervise bookmaking at their school.
3. Is the competition part of the curriculum or an extracurricular activity?
Bookmaking activities are both in classroom and extracurricular, but 10 students must participate with an emphasis on picture book and author studies.
4. What do I need to know to bring Bookmaking into my classroom?
Everything you need to know to run a successful Bookmaking program with your students can be easily accessed through the links below:
5. What is the schedule and protocol for submitting a student made book?
All the information for submission can be found in the EJK Bookmaking Guidelines .
2022 New Deadline: Feb.16 for electronic form and postmark deadline.
Mail the book with Submission Form to:
Brooklyn Public Library, Central Branch
10 Grand Army Plaza
Brooklyn, New York 11238
Attn: Judy Zuckerman
Any questions contact Krosner@schools.nyc.gov